Skip to main content

Tubbo

So, our pediatrician's scale is a bit off and Abby actually weighs 20 pounds, six ounces.  That puts her into the 97th percentile for weight...but still 15th for height! 

Our GI doctor grilled Matt on how much formula we've been giving her and was trying to say that we were measuring the wrong amount.  When she looked back at the recipe we'd been given that would give Abby the prescribed amount of fortified milk, she realized that the nutritionist had written it for wayyyy too much....but the doctor signed it!  We'd been following the recipe, but Abby had definitely been getting too many calories for the last two months.

Sooooooo, we're back tracking a bit and cutting back on the calories so that we can give Abby a chance to catch up to her big self! 

The great thing is that now, pretty much all of her daytime feeds will be during nap times so that she will be free to move around when she's awake!  Now she really will be sans tubes all day!!  Abby's nighttime feeds have also increased to make up for what she won't get during the day, so we're hoping she will be able to tolerate that.  Historically, she has a few days of reflux whenever there's a feeding change, but she has been able to get it under control pretty quickly.

The other positive outcome of the feeding changes is that now we will have longer stretches where she won't be getting tube-fed, so Abby will hopefully be more willing to eat solid foods and drink milk by mouth.  This has really been an issue recently, and we think it's because she's just not hungry.  She has only been going without food for two hours at a time (feedings are every 3 hours and stretch over an hour), so her belly is never really empty!

We're hoping that these changes be good for her schedule and development.  I'm all about Abby growing, but it's time to grow longer, not wider girl!!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m