Skip to main content

Dinner Idea

I found these beefless tips at Giant (which usually has a pretty good vegetarian/vegan selection, in case you're looking!) and decided to give them a try.  They're made of non-mechanically engineered soy, which is what's all over the news these days as being unhealthy for you.  My meat-loving husband took the package out of the grocery bag and eagerly exclaimed, "Wow!  These look good!!" and then, "Oh...nevermind" in the same breath.

Nevertheless, in a never-ending effort to try to get my family to eat healthier, I made them.  First, I marinated them in a mix of oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper for about half an hour.  They could have used more garlic.  They would also have been yummy marinated in barbeque sauce, which is what I put on the leftovers I had the next day for lunch.  I may try that next time.

All you have to do to cook these is just put a little oil in the pan (I used my yellow Lock & Lock pan) and heat them on both sides for about 3 minutes each.  Be sure to stir this frequently or it will stick to the pan...no comment...


I served these over rice, and it was delicious! Even my toughest critic (Matt, not Caleb) said that it was "decent" and that he might eat it again.  This is high praise coming from my meat-a-tarian.  Caleb wouldn't touch it when I told him it was beef or steak.  As soon as I said it was like bread, he popped it in his mouth and declared that it was good.  Kids!!



With the beefless tips, I made my go-to grilled veggies.  In the summer, I like to do a mix of peppers, onions, and squash.  Caleb won't eat any of this but the occasional squash, but I gobble it up!  (Our rule is that everyone has to eat at least one vegetable at dinner each night.  I usually offer multiple, since that's what I eat anyway, so it's not too big of an issue.  We don't count starches like potatoes and rice as vegetables.)

The new frying pan that I got in my most recent Lock and Lock Supporter shipment was really great!  It's heavier than my other yellow pan, but it cleans just as nicely and the dark interior hides the burn stains that somehow seem to get on all of my pans...maybe from not stirring frequently enough?!  Anyway, a heavier frying pan is good for hitting intruders over the head.  :)



I really like this side dish I got in my very first L&L Supporter shipment.  I use it pretty much every time I grill veggies, because it's the perfect size.  It's nice for rice too.


Along with the veggies, I boiled these cute little mini potatoes I found at Trader Joes.  While they were boiling, I mixed a sauce of melted butter, parmesan cheese, parsley, and garlic.  When the potatoes were done, I poured the sauce on them.  YUMMY!!!  They were soooo good, and tasted just as good the next day.  :)  Matt, on the other hand, was "creeped out" by how little the potatoes were.  He thought there might be something wrong with them. He did like the sauce though. 



There you have it...a yummy, mostly healthy**, and quick vegetarian dinner that your family just might eat!!

**I'm not exactly sure how healthy the potatoes are, considering how much butter and cheese I put into the sauce... :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m