Skip to main content

10 Months Old!

I'm actually on the ball this time and am posting Abby's 10 month pictures on the 22nd!  (It helped that I took the pictures a day early!)  :)

At 10 months old, Abby is becoming pretty curious about things.  She also definitely knows what she likes and doesn't like!  Abby has a little baby named Lizzie that she loves to hold. She'll give her hugs and kisses too.  I'm trying to teach her how to rock the baby. 

Sophie the Giraffe continues to be a big hit.  The ears seem to be a favorite teething spot.  Abby loves to squeak Sophie and gets a big smile on her face whenever we hold it out to her.


She has decided that her favorite color is red, and tends to choose red toys.  She especially loves this little spoon that is part of her learning table.


Speaking of the learning table, Abby is having a good time playing with it.  She will sit at it and interact with the different pieces.


She can also stand at it and play!  She usually needs a little support when she's doing this, but can stand for short periods of time on her own.  (like, long enough to snap a picture!)  :)



Abby has six teeth now, as another one just broke the surface a few days ago.  You can see some little chicklets poking out here. 

She loves to show off her tongue!  We will play the stick-out-your-tongue game for a long time together!  We're excited about how much we're seeing her tongue now, because that means her jaw is growing.


The fingers are still in her mouth a lot, although she's learning that these sharp white things in her mouth can hurt!  She has been eating solid foods a lot better these last few days since her feeding schedule (and calories!) were changed.  She is also learning how to drink from a straw and is doing well with it!

Abby's hair is getting really long and thick under her helmet.  I can't wait to have her helmetless so that I can show off those luscious locks of hers.

Abby is off of the vent for 4 1/2 hours twice a day, for a total of 9 hours a day!  She's really only on it for about 2 hours while she's awake.  Basically, the rest of the vent times are while she is sleeping.  On September 1st, the plan is for Abby to be off of the vent whenever she is awake.  Yay!!!

I guess that's the end of the pictures.  The diva has declared the photo shoot over.  :)

We're doing lots and lots of signing with Abby to try to get her to start doing some signs. It's very slow-going, but she did actually do "more" once yesterday without me doing it for her!  I also think she's done "thank you" once or twice, but that's questionable.  Some of the signs we've been modeling a lot are:  more, thank you, please, milk, water, Abby, Caleb, momma, daddy, baby, ball, play, yes, no, funny, sleep, bubbles, and all done.  I downloaded a good app on my iPod that I've been using quite a bit to learn some words.  It has flashcards and quizzes to help me see if I'm really learning the words.  Caleb is really enjoying the Signing Time video that we got from the library.  I like how they take the words they've taught and put them together with other words to reinforce and make connections.  Abby's not quite ready for them yet, but Caleb has learned quite a few signs and has been signing to Abby.  Our speech therapist said that the modeling and repetition is going to be the best way for Abby to learn.  I'm hoping that we'll see some results soon!

I think that's about all of the 10 month updates.  I love this little girl more and more every day.  She is so sweet and is really such a happy baby.  I can't believe how quickly her birthday is approaching!  Oh, happy day!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m