Skip to main content

Hospital News

Random Bits of Information I know You Are All Dying to Hear...




(I don't pretend that people leave my site up all day long hitting refresh constantly to read my latest post as soon as it is uploaded. But that is pretty much what I am doing with my emails...'cause, you know, I don't really have anything better to do! So feel free to email me often!)



* We have managed to lose the cell phone charger we had here. We still have one at home, but that isn't helping us too much right now and my phone is just about dead. Perhaps we lost it in one of the eight moves we've had!



* In going online to Verizon to find the closest store so that we could buy another charger, I realized that we are WAY over our minutes. Oops. This has never been a problem before, but we're using them a whole lot more now. So we decided to just go ahead and upgrade my phone (I was due anyway) and see about changing our plan a bit. We will need more minutes over the next few months anyway. Matt is at Verizon now trying to work it all out. Does this stress me out a bit? Yes. :)



* We met with the social worker today, who was absolutely wonderful. I hope we get to continue to work with her throughout Abby's hospital stay as well. She is going to be very helpful with some of the paperwork we are dealing with right now. Plus, she acknowledged my need for Caleb right away. I liked her immediately! :)



* I am now officially on flat back bedrest. This means that I need to be laying on my back (or my side) at all times. Yes, that includes eating, which is quite comical! I still have bathroom privileges though, so I'm going to follow the rules as to avoid doing anything that will jeopardize that!



* The highlight of my day is my shower and clean clothes. Seriously people, don't underestimate the power of cleanliness. Plus, those 10 minutes (besides the occasional potty break) are the only time I'm vertical.



* I got a seriously encouraging email today that made my day and just made me that much more thankful that God is allowing us to choose joy in all of this.



* One plus to being here as long as I have been (in comparison with most LD patients) is that we are making lots of friends on the staff! Everybody knows us and they don't even stop Matt anymore to sign in.



* Hulu rocks my world. I have become addicted to Boston Med, a reality show about the 3 big Boston hospitals. It's a little bit soap opera, a little bit ER, and majorly entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation, Amy!



Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Wednesday, September 29, 2010 11:36 AM, EDT

Take It From an Expert



Now that I'm a professional patient, I wanted to impart my knowledge on those of you who may not be afforded the same experiences as me. I'm always trying to help out the less fortunate, you know... :)



* Eat whenever you can, whatever you can. Don't worry about gorging yourself, especially if your food status is questionable. Do not, under any circumstances, allow yourself to be hungry. You may not get a chance to fill your belly before you're NPO again.



* You are at the mercy of the nurses, so be nice to them. Use your manners and try not to bug them too much. Showing an interest in them will go a long way.



* Take a shower whenever you are given an opportunity, even if you don't really feel like it. Don't underestimate the power of cleanliness.



* When you are unable to get out of bed even for the bathroom (meaning you have to use a bedpan), don't give up the last little bit of dignity you have. Ask the nurses to give you a little privacy and don't let anyone come in until you're done. They may not think it's that big of a deal, but it will keep a tiny bit of normalcy in your life.



* Always thank the "dietary staff" for bringing you your meals and don't complain about what you get. They could spit in your food, you know.



* As soon as you are allowed, start wearing your own clothes. You won't flash the nurses and it will make you feel a bit more normal. Unless you like the freedom of the breezy gown. Then, by all means...



* Hospital time is not real time. When they tell you they will do a procedure first thing in the morning, that means approximately 11 a.m. (Refer to the food statement above for what you should do to combat the hunger of NPO)



* If you are NPO but can have ice chips, ask for them often and don't feel bad about it. It's your only luxury!



* When you are NPO and can no longer have even ice chips, they can give you the little lemon swabs. Pretending these are lollipops makes them take better. Use your imagination. Ask if they have any frozen--they may not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Frozen ones are WAY better! (Can you tell I have been NPO a lot?!)



* Humor the physical therapists who come to help keep your legs from wasting away to nothing. Remind yourself that although you've done stretches like this since you were 5, they are just trying to do their job. Plus, they give you Silly Putty to keep, which will entertain your other child.



* Pack your belongings compactly so that it will be easy to move rooms. We've gotten pretty good at packing up and condensing our stuff. Add professional mover to my resume.



Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:30 PM, EDT

Here's a glimpse into my world. You can only truly appreciate this if you've been on hospital bedrest or know (and visited) someone who has been.



http://www.sidelines.org/articles/high-risk-unit/



Right now, I'd be thankful for this kind of bed rest!



http://www.sidelines.org/articles/life-on-bed-rest/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m