Skip to main content

Abigail's Journey: Sooner Than Later

Another round of appointments, another round of developments.  This girl is a real problem child.  She will be going into immediate time-out when she is born for all of the trouble she's causing.  :)

As I silently suspected, my amniotic fluid levels have gone up.  I haven't blogged about it in hopes that it wouldn't be true, but my gaining 12 pounds this month made me suspicious.  We were warned about increasing fluid levels and that they are an indication of a more serious problem, so this did not surprise us too much.  In Abby's situation, an increase in fluid levels means she is no longer swallowing the way she should.  This is because her neck muscles aren't developing properly as a result of the small jaw.  If there was any question as to where we should deliver, that decision was made for us today.  (We'd already made that decision ourselves though!)

I've also been having lots of contractions, and they decided to hook me up to a fetal monitior for half an hour to see what was going on.  Yep, lots of contractions!  These, coupled with the increase in the amount of fluid, point to a concern for pre-term labor.  Basically, as the fluid levels increase, my body won't be able to hold it all and my water will break. I'm currently not dialated, but in my doctor's words, "We need to prepare for her to come now." 

What's the plan of action?  Well, I got a steroid shot for lung development today and will get the second one tomorrow.  They are time sensitive, which means having to leave work for a little while, but at least I don't have to truck up to UMD!  If I make it another two weeks, I will have another round of steroid shots.  If I don't go into labor on my own and am planned, it will be no later than 38 weeks.  We're praying that she stays in there as long as possible.  Thankfully, she measured 3 lb 1 oz today, which is awesome!!  She's a good size if she does end up coming sooner than later.

Our perinatologist is setting up a meeting with the neonatologist so that we can all sit down as a team and decide how we are going to continue.  There are some intubation concerns that come along with a baby with a small jaw being premature on top of it, so he wants to make sure we have an experienced doctor present during my delivery with this specific kind of intubation.  There is now absolutely no question as to whether or not she will be in the NICU.  The length is to be determined, but she will go straight there for observation, at the least.  I am so thankful for Dr. H's caution and planning!  He truly makes me feel much more at peace because he's so proactive.

We will now be having weekly sonograms and fetal monitorings at UMD.  At this point, I am not going to be put on bed rest.  When the fluid levels are high, my water will break when it's ready, regardless of whether I'm on bed rest or not.  I might as well work while I can and save my leave for the time being!

I met with an OB at my new practice today and was fortunate enough to really like her!!  In a practice of 20 doctors, 10 midwives, and several CRNPs, it's amazing that we liked the first one we saw.  We're sticking with her and praying that she is the one to deliver me.  If I go into labor early, it will be luck of the draw.  If it's planned, I'm going to try to schedule her.  She is super sweet, soft-spoken, and very willing to defer to the perinatologist we're working with when it comes to my case.  In fact, she called him while I was there to get some more information on my case.  I like when doctors are willing to work closely with each other in the best interest of the patient instead of just thinking they can do it on their own.  She only needs to see me every-other-week because Abby is the real problem here.  Trouble maker... :)

I think that's all of today's developments.  Who knows what next week will bring?!  We did get some great pictures.  It's amazing the difference a month can make in development.  I guess one benefit of all of these sonograms is getting to see our baby develop step by step!  That, and continued confirmation that it is indeed a girl.  :)

Prayer requests for this week:
*  My fluid levels stay where they are and do not increase anymore.  The higher they are on a little person like me, the bigger my risk.
*  I am able to carry Abby all the way to 38 weeks!!  No preterm labor, please!
*  Her neck development continues to progress.
*  We will be delivered by the doctor we like.  That will have a very calming affect on me in a very stressful situation.  This hometown girl needs familiarity!
*  Matt and I will digest these new developments.  It's a lot to take in.

Comments

julie i am praying for all of the above and so thankful that you and matt are a strong unit that can call upon God when you need it. we are anxiously(but not before it's time!) waiting to meet our new cousin!

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m