Skip to main content

Q & A: The Home Edition

Way back when, they were supposed to do a chest x-ray on Matt and you to see if you had the same rib anomoly Abby has.  Did they do this? 

Quick answer:  no.  They never followed up and I never pushed it because I think we'd know if either one of us had pieces of rib connected with fibrous tissue. 

With all of the genetic testing you've done, has anything given you answers as to why this happened?

Nope.  We just got the results of the last set (I think that was the 5th set of tests) and everything was normal.  I guess that is good, but I'd really like to know what caused this.  It's kind of disconcerting not knowing how this happened.  Not that I'd feel better knowing that it was the kind of make-up I used or the amount of ranch dressing Matt ate, but still!  We will be joining a study at Boston Children's to help them research this syndrome.  While it won't necessarily help Abby, it will certainly shed some light on this craziness and possibly help future families.

Have you contacted any other families with CCMS?

I have talked with the mom of a 12 year old girl in NJ who has actually had the rib surgery and has found it very helpful.  I have also emailed a mom of a 6 month old girl in Chicago who is just a little further on this journey than we are.  Then, of course, I have talked with Reagan (Piper's mom) and have beeing trying to keep up with her blog when I have a chance.  It's interesting that of the 7 children alive with this syndrome, the 4 I know about are girls.  Significant?  Maybe!

Does Abby move her arms and legs?

She sure does!  When she gets mad, she starts flailing all around!!  Right now, at least, she has full range of motion.  The only slight problem we see is that she does tuck her thumbs in and tends to keep her hands in a fist.  She opens them on her own though, and can keep her thumb out when she wants to.  We work hard with that.  Just since we've been home, Abby has discovered her fingers and LOVES to suck on her left pointer finger.  It must taste good!  She gets really mad when she takes her own hand away and then doesn't put it back in!

How is Abby's schedule?

We are still working on that with the nurses, as some want to just let her sleep.  While I definitely acknowledge that she needs to sleep, she also needs to get her days and nights under control.  We also need to continue to work on her OT, PT, and speech therapy while we're waiting to start with Infants and Toddlers in the county.  Since we've been home from our most recent hospital stay, Abby has been awake much more during the day and sleeping pretty well during the night.  She gets continuous feeds at night so that the nurses don't have to wake her up to hook her feed up. 

How is your adjustment with the nurses going?

We're getting there.  We have been fortunate to find a wonderful group of nurses who really care for Abby.  Just as we had hoped, they treat her as our daughter, not a patient.  We hope to keep them for a long, long time!!  It's really hard to find nurses willing to travel where we are, so we don't want to give these ladies any reason to leave.  :) 

Most of the adjustment is just realizing that our privacy is more or less gone.  There will be someone else holding your baby, there will be someone listening to you argue with your husband, there will be someone watching how you deal with your four year old's tantrum...it's just an adjustment.  While we really like our nurses and are thankful for them (and we couldn't do it without them!!) it's also nice to have a little family time in the evening.  It's a little strange having someone watch you as you pray and sing with your son before bed (Caleb wanted to include Abby, so we did it downstairs), so I like that now we have that time to ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m