Skip to main content

Nursing

We are with Maxim Healthcare, and so far we've been pleased with the agency.  I really like the person in charge of our case there.  She gets things done, and that makes me happy. 

Yesterday, we had our first two nursing interviews.  We have four more scheduled over the next week.  I asked them thirty-two a few questions and gave them a list of our expectations.  One was 10 minutes early and one was 25 minutes late.  One has already been flagged as a nurse we definitely want...and one will not be a good fit for our family.  'Nuff said. 

The question of the hour is how much nursing we'll actually get.  Well, we probably won't know until the day before discharge.  The uncertainty of this drives the planner in me absolutely bonkers I am handling the uncertainty quite well!  All I know is that we will go home with 24 hours of nursing care for the first couple of days...after that, it's all up in the air. 

You hear that?  That's God chuckling at the planner being forced to be flexible. 

IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!

:)

I'm currently reading Mary Beth Chapman's book Choosing to See and have been able to relate to her on so many levels.  It's definitely worth the read!  It's all about the ups and downs of her life and how the death of her daughter Maria has affected her.  Like her, I'm a planner.  Like her, I wanted the simple things in life...job security with predictable hours and a quiet, normal life.  HA!  I think I gave up on the predictable hours part shortly after we were married and Matt had to cancel our Valentine's Day plans because a teenaged crisis came up.  There's no such thing as predictable hours when you're a youth pastor.  As for the second half of my simple dreams...we used to have a pretty normal life, but God kind of blew that one out of the water too.  I'm all about creating the new normal.  I jokingly--I think--say that we are never going anywhere again, but I know that we will learn how to do all sorts of things with our high-maintenance girl!

Emotion of the day:  Thrilled!  I'm thrilled to be setting up Abby's room and interviewing nurses, because I never thought this day would come.  Caleb is thrilled to have his family all back together and settle into a routine again.  Matt and I are thrilled to be able to finally bring our baby home after nearly three long months of just being visitors.  I am thrilled that Abby beat the odds and showed the doubters what she's made of.  That girl is a fighter!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I absolutely LOVED MB Chapman's book! I stayed up several nights crying through it but its one of the best books I've read. I love her honesty and felt so encouraged by her faith. Maybe you'll be writing an inspiring defeating the odds kind of book one day...! :)
Love ya! Jenn Pearson

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m