Skip to main content

In No Particular Order...

Sorry for the lack of posting the last few days.  I've been a bit busy working on getting the house (you know, that place where I used to live?) ready for Abby and I worked today (you know, at that school I used to go to every day?)

Abby now weighs exactly 6 lbs, 15.8 oz.  She had made it over the 7 lb mark before the nurse realized that she didn't have a new diaper on and had to subtract that weight.  Darn...we almost tricked her!

I made my first trach change mess-up tonight when I forgot to put the opterator in the guide it (What?  You don't know what an opterator is????  Well, it's the plastic hook-looking-thing that goes into the trach tube to make the trach stiff and easier to insert.  Duh.) :)  It ended up being fine, but the trach could have kinked and made a big mess.  I'm glad I made the mistake at the hospital and not at home, and I'm very glad that it didn't cause a big problem!

I'm so excited to have been in touch with a fellow CCMS mom!!  Her beautiful daughter is 6 months old and she's a bow-wearer.  I like her already!  This is such an isolating experience.  I suppose Miss Independent (ahem, that's me) is really being put to the test now!

The house is looking pretty good.  We have some storage for medical supplies and a bedside cabinet now, so we're feeling better about the space.  Caleb is satisfied that he still has a play area and his beloved Hank (a ride-on dinosaur that is taller than him) is still living in the house...just in the basement!

We will get our first supplies delivery on Wednesday.  They will also be doing more vent training then, and I think we'll be taking our test the next time they come.

Tomorrow will be a big day for Abby...something very exciting!  Yep, I'm going to make you wait.  I'm suspenseful like that.  Just call me Ryan Seacrest.  Never fear, I will blog all about it tomorrow night.  (No, she's not going home.  I wish!)  Hopefully, all will go well.

I seriously love my girl.  She was so darn cute tonight!  Wide awake, she just stared at me while I talked to her as if she was just taking it all in.  I do love those dark eyes of hers.  I see so much wisdom and truth in those eyes.  She has gone through things in the last 2 1/2 months that most people don't deal with in their lifetime, and it shows.  She's a special kid.  *tear*

I'm going to end one of my posts each day with my "Feeling of the Day."  This will be a short segment describing my current emotion, since emotions are running high and wild around here these days.  One day, I'm thrilled, the next day, I'm terrified.  And so goes the special-needs rollercoaster.

Feeling of the Day:  anxious. 

I'm anxious for Abby to come home, but anxious about finding qualified nurses to care for her.  I'm anxious about the vent training and anxious to start our new normal. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m