Skip to main content

The Faces of RMH

We have met some truly beautiful people during our stay at RMH.  The staff has been wonderful--Sandy, the director, is so sweet and compassionate.  They are all pretty much amazing.

But I want to share with you some of the "faces" of RMH.  No, I'm not going to post pictures of the families, but I just want to paint a picture of a few of the people we've met.

Beautiful S, an 18 year old with Hodgkin's Lymphoma who is undergoing radiation treatments.  This little ball of energy wants to be a mechanic who works on ships and planes!  Because she won't be able to be around the fumes for a while, S decided to get her history degree so that she could be a history professor when she retired.  I love this girl!!  She just moved in a few days ago, but she'll be here for several weeks until her treatments are over.  They are actually just a hop, skip, and a jump away from us in Waldorf!

Patient M, the mother of B.  B is learning how to eat at Kennedy Krieger and is participating in a daily feeding program.  M is soooo good with him!  She patiently encourages B during meals and is so consistant with her reminders and praises.  It is an encouragement to me to watch a mother lovingly care for her special-needs child.  They have traveled here from Louisiana.

Strong-willed H, who is currently wheelchair-bound.  This is their second time at RMH while we've been here, so we've gotten to know them well.  H had limb-lengthening surgery in April and has been in a wheelchair ever since.  She is so determined to work through the pain so that she can get out of the wheelchair.  They travel from Nebraska for their appointments here.

Quiet little B, a boy with a serious condition called Bladder Extrophy.  He's had many surgeries over his 8 years, and it has not been an easy adjustment for him.  His mom and grandma have been here with him for five weeks during this latest surgery, far away from the rest of their family in Kentucky. 

Sweet baby N, who was born weighing only 12 ounces.  Miraculously, she survived with minimal complications and is now home with her parents after three long months in the NICU.  They come back often from their home in Hagerstown for outpatient appointments. 

There are many other families here as well: some fairly local like us, some traveling around the United States, and some from far-away places like Malaysia and Kuwait!  All of us have the same goal though:  going home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m