Skip to main content

G-tubes...the Good, the Bad, and the Refluxey

The Good:

We went for a swallow evaluation (different than a swallow study) and Abby has been officially cleared to get some tastes by mouth!!  We have to go slowly and she can only have 1/4 a teaspoon 3-4 times a day, but it's something!  She LOVED the food and was really excited to get a taste.  I'm sure I'll be posting some feeding pictures soon!  We'll be going back for frequent follow-ups so that she can increase the amount of food and continue to monitor her eating.

The Bad:

I changed Abby's g-tube on Wednesday.  Normally, it is very easy to take out.  You just take the water out of the balloon (that's how it stays in place) and pull it out.  Abby's was very, very difficult to remove and it was obviously very painful for her.  I did it slowly and gently, but I could tell it hurt.  Poor girl!  The site was also pretty goopy and nasty.  I called the pediatrician after that but he just said to keep an eye on it.

The Refluxey:

On Sunday, Abby started having some reflux, which she NEVER has.  She's been on Zantac since she got her g-tube, but has long-since outgrown the dose and has never had any problems.  Her g-tube site was still very painful and she cried if we even went near it.  It was also rather red, so I made another call to the pediatrician (I wonder if they groan when they hear it's me?)  This time, he said that all of those factors indicated a trip to the ER.  The nurse and I packed everything up--including Caleb, as we were just on our way to church when this happened--and headed to CMH.  After lots of waiting and explaining everything 15 times, several doctors examined her and didn't really know what to do.  They attempted to start an IV, which didn't work, and then tried to draw blood, which clotted...I stopped them from poking her anymore after that.  One called JHH GI and spoke to a fellow, who basically said not to do anything but that they wanted to see her as soon as possible. 

Since we were already heading up there today, I thought it would be just perfect for us to be seen today!

They didn't see it that way.  Darn.

Now, I'm still not exactly sure when we'll be seen, but worst case scenario is that we keep our already scheduled appointment for next Thursday.  Oh well...she's eating and hasn't had any more instances of reflux. 

You'll have to excuse me...I need to go feed my girl some solid foods!!!!  ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m