Skip to main content

Rehab day 2

Abby had her first day of therapy today, and it was a busy one!  She started out with 2 hours of pt, which was a lot of boring assessments  that had to get done.  It gets much more fun from here!  The pt did use kinesio tape on her to try to strengthen some muscles.  It also helps with scar sensitivity, so we are testing some things out!  OT also did a bunch of assessments, but they were slightly more fun than pt.  :). 

I'm really impressed with the spinal cord injury program already.  I think it's exactly the right place for Abby!  It is extremely well known and she will be in the program for as long as she needs it!  They do all kinds of outpatient therapies, including aquatic therapy (when she is able to do that).  We will be continuing her therapy here after she goes home, because the level of therapy they can give here is just incomparable to anything she would get at home.  It's a drive, but it's worth it!  If you are interested in learning more about the program, go here:  https://www.kennedykrieger.org/patient-care/patient-care-centers/international-center-spinal-cord-injury

She's started having some spasms today that have come on fast and furious.  It's unusual for her to have them this far out from surgery, but nothing about a Shilla recovery is "usual!"  She's been needing lots of meds pretty much around the clock and is waking up at night in pain.  I'm still trying to decide what med regime is best.  We have tried a few different things so far.

We have been concerned for a while now about Abby's swallowing.  Eating has been extremely challenging and food has been getting stuck in her throat because her neck is hyperextended.  She has also been choking on her medicines and drinks, which is making me nervous.  After an evaluation today, the team decided that she's not safe with liquids or basically anything but puréed foods.  She's now on a thickener that is making it a nectar consistency, which she does not like AT ALL. Her dinner tonight came puréed....puréed beef and puréed Mac and cheese.  Needless to say, that got thrown in the trash!  I'm going to have to talk to them tomorrow about finding her some things that will be appetizing and safe...cuz that beef was definitely not appetizing!  She ate 6 bites of applesauce tonight. It sounds like we are increasing her feeds soon too, but I think the team is still figuring out what to do about that.  

That news was sad to me because she had come so far with eating this year.  She always regresses, but not like this.  She can't even take her meds by mouth anymore. And it's the saddest because she wants to eat.  It's not behavioral this time.  It's just structural, and it's not safe.  Ugh.

However, we did have several lovely bright spots in the day!  At lunch time, Abby's wonderful teacher and one-on-one came to visit!  Her one-on-one even "snuck in" some food for Abby to enjoy!  (This was pre-swallow eval!).  Abby absolutely adores both of them and I saw more smiles during their visit than I'd seen in a week!  It was so good to see them and to know how loved Abby is.  She is in the best hands!

 

 

 

This evening, The Bevards came to visit!  They are always full of antics and laughs, and tonight didn't disappoint.  They made Abby laugh a lot!  Kids (except siblings) aren't allowed on the unit during cold and flu season, so we met them in the lobby.  We ventured over to Hopkins and found an area of the cafeteria where we could spread out.  Amy brought a craft for the kids to do, which everyone seemed to enjoy.  Abby loved having them there and cried when they left.


Matt and Caleb are coming up tomorrow after Abby has a very full day of therapy.  I know she will love the time with them.  Visitors (who are healthy and have had flu shots!) make our day so much brighter!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m