Skip to main content

Living With a Pinless Halo: Clothing

Dressing is rather complicated in a pinless halo, we have discovered!  We already knew anything over the head was out.  The halo adds several inches to the circumference and it would make the neck of the shirt huge.  Abby has been in a brace before and she was able to wear button down shirts one size bigger than usual.  It wasn't too much of a challenge.  

Now, the metal bar in the back of the halo connecting the head to the brace sticks out an extra 2 inches, making wearing button down shirts pretty much impossible!  I went up 2 sizes and she wasn't even close.  Going up 3 sizes would cause her to just swim in it length-wise.  

On a whim, I threw in an Adidas jacket when I was packing her for this stay.  It is stretchy without a hood and is the only thing we have here that works!  Even other hooded sweatshirts I brought aren't stretchy enough to fit.  I may be able to go up a size on those, but we don't have any here right now.  Plus, I think a hood would just add even more bulk behind her head and would be uncomfortable.  

 I have one more Adidas jacket at home and ordered several others!  It is a zip-up track jacket that has quite a bit of give in it, and we can zip up the front most of the way up. She feels comfortable in it and it fits!

I also had an idea that a knit poncho might work. (Not the kind you wear to keep dry--the cute kind!)  They tend to have wider head holes and just lay on top of everything.  I figured I might give it a shot, but I can't find anything that isn't ridiculously expensive.  I'm going to keep an eye out.

She will hopefully be out of this before the weather gets warm, but it is basically impossible to find short sleeved zip-up shirts!  We are just going to hope that it won't be an issue.

As far as pants go, I had already learned with her last brace that leggings were the easiest.  Regular pants got pushed down by the brace and weren't comfortable for her to wear.  Lucky for her, she has plenty of Lularoe leggings!  😃. I didn't even bother packing any regular pants.

Because Abby is still very unsteady on her feet and is struggling to adjust to this new weight on her upper body, she is only wearing sturdy tennis shoes right now.  She loves her boots, but they just aren't safe right now.  Safety > fashion!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m