Skip to main content

An Awesome Opportunity!

Our family was so honored to represent the Ronald McDonald House of Baltimore last night at the lighting of the Washington Monument in Mount Vernon!  Along with the mayor of Baltimore and Steve Smith Sr. of the Baltimore Ravens, we lit the monument and officially kicked off the holiday season!  This is a HUGE deal in Baltimore and there were an estimated 20,000 people there last night!  Incredible!!

Abby was the "official" lighter with a magic wand that caused the monument to light up.  She loved it and proudly held her wand up high in the air!  Caleb actually got to push one of the buttons with the mayor and Steve Smith Sr. to make it happen, so he was thrilled!  

We were interviewed by two Baltimore TV stations!



 Here's one:


I can't find the other one online, but a friend taped it from her TV with her phone and shared it on my Facebook page.  :)

Abby got a light-up wand to do her magic, and the 6 year old daughter of one of the people running it heard about Abby and made her some pixie dust to help with the magic.  Of course, she loved it!!!



 What Baltimore celebration is complete without Natty Boh?!


Thank you to our wonderful friend, Sandy Pagnotti, who is the director of our Baltimore RMH.  She is so fantastic and we are grateful that she asked us to be a part of this!



The fire chief of Baltimore asked to come meet Abby :)


Reagan and Katie Rose of Mixed 106.5 were the MCs of the night, and the kids had fun being silly with them!  They did a great job of sharing Abby's story.  Reagan dramatically said, "The doctors said she would never see.  Well guess what?!  She sees!!!" And the crowd cheered.  He did that for seeing, hearing, talking, and walking, and the cheered got louder each time, then erupted when she actually walked across the stage.  They started cheering, "Abby!  Abby!  Abby!" which was surreal to me, but a little too much for her and she covered her ears.  :)  They interviewed us on the stage and we got to share about how important The Ronald McDonald House is to us.  We love any opportunity to talk about our Baltimore home!



When the big moment came, we got on stage with the major and Steve Smith Sr.  Abby's hidden, but you can see her wand!


We lit up the sky!


It was seriously one of the coolest experiences ever!  We are so grateful to the Ronald McDonald House and love to have any opportunity to spread the RMH love!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m