Skip to main content

Hope Lives Here

This phrase is written on the banners at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.  It's on the hospital's Facebook page and all over the website. 

Hope Lives Here.

But apparently, that hope is only for children who are typically-developing.  It's only for the "normal" kids.  It's only for those who are deemed worth keeping.

If you haven't heard the story yet, go here to read about Amelia, a little girl with developmental and cognitive delays who needs a kidney transplant.  Without a new kidney, she will most likely die within six months.  Her family wants to donate one to her, but the transplant committee said that she was ineligible to receive a kidney because she is "mentally retarded."

Side Bar:  I absolutely despise the R-word.  I always have, and have been known to give kids an earful who let the word slip from their mouths.  It bothers me even more now.  In case you're an R-word user and don't know what else to say, try one of these:  "developmental delays," "cognitive delays," or "global delays." 

Who is this doctor, or the transplant committee, to determine whose life is and is not worth saving?  It's not as if she has a medical condition that would prevent her from being able to make it through the surgery.  It's simply because she has cognitive delays and the transplant committee does not think it's "worth it." 

I think the worst part of the whole thing was the insensitive, cold-hearted, social worker.  For a person who is supposed to support the patient's family and show compassion during difficult conversations, she was about as heartless as she could be.

Shame on you.  Shame on you.

But let's not lay blame on CHOP as a whole.  I'm certain that there are wonderful, caring doctors there who are appalled to hear such a thing happening at their hospital.  I also know that there are many, many surgeons who perform lifesaving surgeries every day.  At one point, we were thinking that Abby would have her VEPTR rib surgeries there and felt confident in the abilities of the surgeon.  (It does not appear that Abby needs to have the VEPTR rib surgeries.  If she does, we will still go to CHOP.)

So don't give up on CHOP.  It's an awesome hospital.  Focus your anger on the pitiful excuse for a doctor who feels like he has the power to choose who lives and who dies.  I'll get mad at CHOP if their response to the outrage of the special needs community is one of indifference or even support of the doctor.  Until then, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If this story bothers you, if it makes you angry and heartbroken for Amelia and her family, then do something about it.  Blog about it.  Post the story to your Facebook page.  Tweet and text Amelia's story.  Tell people about it.  Go to CHOP's Facebook page and tell the hospital administrators how you feel.  CHOP needs to be reminded that all children are a gift from God and deserve to have a chance at life.

Psalm 139


13 For You formed my inward parts;

You covered me in my mother’s womb.

14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]

Marvelous are Your works,

And that my soul knows very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You,

When I was made in secret,

And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.

And in Your book they all were written,

The days fashioned for me,

When as yet there were none of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m