Skip to main content

Love Your kids as if They Were Dying

I am reposting this from http://www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com/, which is a phenomental source of support if you have a special needs child.  Ellen at http://www.lovethatmax.com/ loves it too, so she often links their posts and I eagerly hop over to read them when I have a second.  They never disappoint.

This was written by a mom named Suzanne who has 2 children with a mitochondrial disease.  I usually just link to good posts I want people to read, but this was worth an actual re-post.  It was a good reminder to me.  Sometimes I am so worried about making the most of my time with Abby that I forget that Caleb is growing older by the minute too!  He deserves my attention and adoration as well, and it's something I have to create time to do sometimes.  Life with Abby is very busy, and I sometimes worry about Caleb's needs getting pushed to the side.  Matt and I work hard at giving him individual attention.  They have "Man Time" every week going to the dump, where they listen to sports talk radio and do "Man Stuff" that I am not allowed to know about.  When our day nurse is here, I try to spend some time playing with just Caleb, or stopping to get ice cream or another treat on the way home from school once in a while.  But it isn't easy.

READ this post and take the message to heart!
---------

My day had started like any other, I was up at 5 packing lunches and backpacks, while trying to gulp down some coffee. I had an appointment at the office later, so I spent a few minutes standing in front of my closet perplexed and sighing. I looked in the mirror, briefly noting the major damage 40 plus years and nightly interrupted sleep can bring. Finally, by 7 am, we were all dressed and ready, so we hit the road to drop Zoe’s big sister O, at her school first.


Later, it was just Zoe and I in the car. The sun was streaming through the car windows, the radio was on and I was trying to make Zoe laugh.. we were singing to the music and making small talk about her day.

I am used to the starts and stops in our frequent conversation. Zoe, almost 10 now, is a thinker- yet she slowly forms her thoughts, chooses her words and processes it into speech. There are pauses as she searches for the word she wants, and fatigue can slow the pace, slur the word . Remembering all the years she could barely even communicate, I wait patiently and am still grateful each time she begins to speak.

Her thoughts come in word pieces and listening carefully, I fit the puzzle together ..

“ Mom, when I grow up and become a Mom, would this be a good car for me to drive and how do you learn to be a Mom anyway?” There it is, her question. And suddenly it’s as if the clouds have pushed the sun away, and my daily “ cup half full” approach to life has been smashed to hell. Zoe can’t see my face, and I am glad. I don’t want her to know the raw pain that is causing me to to hold my breath .

My girl is growing up, and thoughts of the future, are naturally close ,more menacing than when she was 3 or 5, and although she is an awesome kid doing amazingly well- she still has a progressive metabolic disease. She still has generalized epilepsy, kidney disease and although she grows more steady with the growing size of her body- she uses a wheelchair and a walker to discover and experience her world.

What I couldn’t say to Zoe is that with her vulnerabilities I can’t imagine her “ being a mom”- that her physical impairments alone ,will prevent her from ever driving a car. I refuse to even contemplate the complex medical conversations we have had about Zoe’s life expectancy, we just don’t go there.

Yet this reality is what sometimes separates me from other Mom’s. Tragedies that take kids too soon are always unexpected. As busy Mom’s we just forget that we are all fragile. We sometmes forget that the messy room, the lapse in homework , the bad grade -aren’t the important things about mothering.

In the last few months, my local community of special needs families have lost two girls, and this loss hits close to home. These girls were very close to Zoe’s age, with some similar issues. These families were fighting, and winning. Their kids survived surgeries, hospitalizations, and the everyday challenges that often come with raising a special needs kid. These parents were managing their kids health, their kids were stable, even improving with therapies. Their parents were seeking refuge in that stability that meant success-until the day their kids weren’t stable. Until one day their physical vulnerabilities were cause for taking their child’s life, and they were just gone.

I am guilty of doing it too sometimes. Getting caught up in the day to day. Zoe is doing well, we are managing, we are “winning” and then an illness comes along, a medical test, or a conversation like this one Zoe and I shared – and reality comes crashing through, grounding me again to what is really important.

And it’s this reality , that I wish every mom knew. It sounds harsh, I know.. – but it’s a secret that special needs moms have learned along the way. It’s something that I think all moms should know, or just think about sometime. That all that other stuff- just really doesn’t matter.

Let your KIDS be that sunshine that lights your soul and commit to really love your kids, love like they are the MOST important, love with the heartbreaking pain that comes with it. LOVE your kids, as if they were dying.

Comments

Mary Lou said…
Mmmmm.... Very good. Very, very, VERY good.
Thank-you for posting this, Julie.... :-}

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m