Skip to main content

Why Ticks Are of the Devil

So, based on my wonderful recent experiences with deer ticks and the trouble they cause, I decided to look online to find out what their purpose is. After all, every insect has a purpose, right? Even spiders are important to us, and I hate spiders!



Well, when this is the best they can come up with, I'm pretty much guessing that ticks have no purpose in Mother Nature's world. Come on--isn't it a bit of a stretch to say that they (along with mosquitoes and termites) are beneficial to us because they have created a large pesticide industry? (Many can argue that THAT in itself is a HORRIBLE thing!!) Really, I now firmly believe that they were put on Earth by the devil to torture us and cause of physical and mental pain.

For those of you who are behind on my tick saga, let me catch you up.

SATURDAY: Found ticks #4 and #5 (five all in the same week!) on me. Matt pulled them off. The one on my back was really hard to get out.

MONDAY A.M.: Got out of the shower and glanced in the mirror to see a huge red spot on my back...definitely ugly. Had the nurse look at it when I went to school, and she told me to go to the doctor that evening because it was either infected or a bull's eye.

MONDAY P.M.: Went to the doctor for the first time. Lyme's Disease doesn't show up in blood tests for about 6 weeks, which is often too late to treat. They treat patients first, and test them later if they still have symptoms. He put me on Doxycycline, a drug that prohibits me from being outside for any length of time or my skin will blister. Wonderful...

TUESDAY: On the drug for 24 hours. It makes me feel like I am in labor...constantly.

WEDNESDAY A.M.: Spot on my back totally changed shape and color, making me kind of nervous.

WEDNESDAY P.M.: Spot began to travel. After calling my aunt (the retired head of infection control), she told me to go to Urgent Care. I spent 2 hours in there (MISSING the final AI results--ughhh!) only to be mocked by a flippant doctor who just wanted to go home.

THURSDAY A.M.: Spot was continuing to travel. At the insistance of my aunt who was afraid that it was a Staph infection, I made an appointment with my primary care physician (Are you counting the doctor's visits? This is #3!). He convinced me that this was just a hemotoma and that it will go away in the next week or so. (Yes, it is ugly!!) On a positive note, I had already taken the rest of the day off and was able to get an amazing amount of work done. It's really incredible what you can do in 4 hours without a toddler!

FRIDAY: Field Day...because I can't be outside in the sun, I switched with a second grade teacher and watched her kids in the morning while she took mine on their rotations. No, I wasn't basking in the AC all day--it was broken as usual! It wasn't too bad, but I did miss hanging out with my kids. I really do like Field Day.

So...I have 10 more days of this TERRIBLE labor-inducing drug (I am having all kinds of flashbacks that are making me reconsider our next-baby timeline...) and about 14 more days of SUN BAN.

Yes, it's Memorial Day weekend and we had planned to spend some good time at our beach.

Yes, it's going to be a beautiful 80 degrees alllll weekend.

Yes, Caleb constantly asks me to go outside and can't understand why I keep saying no.

Yes, Matt is gone most of this weekend and can't take Caleb outside.

Yes, I was incredibly annoyed when the weather changed from rain and thunderstorms to sunny skies. At least the rain would force me to be inside. I'm really going through Vitamin D withdrawl...

I'm now trying to find something cool for us to do on Monday that is indoors. We were considering the Baltimore Aquarium, but the price for adults is $24.95 now...and that's not even including the dolphin show!! I'm going to see what Matt thinks about Port Discovery. That looks pretty fun. I welcome your suggestions for inside activities that would not take place at our house! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m