Skip to main content

The Truth About Traveling With Kids

If you're planning on traveling with kids anytime soon, you must know these truths...

1.  No matter how many toys and distractions you pack for the car, your 21 month old will reject all of your offerings before you leave your hometown.  She will try to trick you into thinking you have won by considering an offer for about 6 seconds, take it thoughtfully in her hand, and then chuck it at you with a resounding NO!  She will proceed to scream for the next hour.  You will then decide that now would be a great time to work on the phrase, "Momma, help please!"  You'll repeat that for the next hour whenever your child takes a breath between screams.

2.  Your long-since potty trained 5 1/2 year old will announce his need to use the bathroom right after you leave a store with wonderful restrooms...which you suggested he use before you left, but were answered with, "I don't need to go!"  This will happen multiple times on your trip.

3.  You will resort to looking at your toddler in the rear view mirror during the long car ride, because any direct eye contact results in ear-piercing screams.  This is especially important when you are checking to see if she has fallen asleep.

4.  Upon arriving at your destination, your third child husband will realize that he has forgotten to pack any of a particularly important item.  You will be kind and not remind him that you attempted to go through his packing list with him, but were scoffed and told that he was an expert packer.  You then go visit the local outlets much sooner than you planned, explaining to your 5 year old that underwear is more important than going to the arcade.

5.  Your early-riser children, who have eliminated your need for an alarm clock, will decide to sleep in on the last day of your vacation--and the only day you actually need to get up early in order to be checked out by 10:00.  You will most certainly run around barking orders at your poor husband who knows that you have plenty of time, but won't remind you of it until you're pulling out of the parking lot at 9:14.

This is obviously very tongue-in-cheek, but we really did have a great time!  I hope that I made you smile and perhaps remind you of your travels with your own kiddos!  There will be many more stories of our adventures in the next few days (or weeks!), but I wanted to share this one because I was asked by one of the companies I partner with to write about traveling with kids.

They are called Culturelle, and they make probiotics that support a healthy digestive system.  I've been using their products for about a year with Abby.  I was really excited when I was offered the chance to partner with them, since we already love their product!  Our pediatrician first recommended it, so we keep it on hand and always use it whenever she takes an antibiotic.  It virtually eliminates the more unpleasant side effects of the medicine--which seems to affect Abby more than most. :( You can pretty much buy it at any drug store, and I see it on sale a lot!  (Bonus!)  We brought some with us on the trip, just in case either of the kids had any stomach troubles.  Thankfully, none was needed because everybody stayed healthy!  But ya never know...



 I was compensated for this post, but all opinions are always mine!  :)

Comments

Debbie said…
love your sense of humor combined w/honesty. BTW, the 3rd child will always remain a child...just saying

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m