So...then we were kind of stuck making the decision ourselves because the doctors disagreed. After talking to her rehab doctor here today, she let me know that she fully trusted our surgeon and if he said it was okay for Abby to go to school, then it was okay. KKI's stance is still that she can't, and we will still have to be transported by ambulance home. Our time in the car will be limited to driving to and from school (1.5 miles!) and she will still be home the rest of the time, but getting her to school is HUGE.
I feel good about the decision, but some of the people on our team don't agree and it's a bit awkward. I certainly don't want to put Abby in any danger, but I also think that there's a bigger picture too. I think we made the right decision.
So....we got to tell Abby the great news! Matt FaceTimed with us so we could tell her together and she was soooo excited!! Here is her smiling face (and Matt's!) at the moment we told her.
She still won't go back right away and won't do full days for a while, and she won't ride the bus the rest of the year. But just knowing that she will have the routine and normalcy of school will make a huge difference in her recovery. She needed this.
Thank you all for your prayers! I wouldn't have posted last night if I'd known this turn of events...but such is a day in the life of the Abby Saga! Lol!
She painted a cape today (purple, of course!) during PT while standing on a cushion and holding on with only one hand. Hard work!