Skip to main content

Thankful

To say that Abby had a difficult day today would be an understatement.  She is severely agitated, which has resulted in a lot of thrashing around.  The team hasn't quite figured out the proper cocktail she needs in order to keep her asleep, so right now she's just really anxious.

The day got a whole lot worse around 2:45 when Abby's oxygen levels suddenly started to drop rapidly.  I had just called the nurse a few minutes before because she was so agitated and I was hoping she could get some more medicine.  

When the nurse came in, Abby started having a lot of junk in her mouth and seemed to need suctioning. Her oxygen levels started to dip a little bit, but then the nurse couldn't get the suction tube to go down her breathing tube.  All of the sudden, her oxygen levels dropped from the high 80s to the 50s.  The nurse calmly asked for the lights to be turned on and to get the Ambu (emergency) bag.  

My mom was in the room, so I quietly asked her to step out...I had a feeling I knew what was coming.  The nurse started bagging her, but Abby went from the 50s very quickly to 26 and was blue.  Then the "no breath detected" sign started flashing.
  
The nurse pushed the button for help, and I was amazed at how quickly help came!  I stepped out of the room to allow the 15 or so people in there to do their jobs.  Mom and I watched and cried from the hallway.  

It was surreal.

I honestly don't really remember feeling anything.  I just watched with tear-filled eyes as I witnessed so many people working on my little girl.  

Long story short, there was a kink in the breathing tube.  The kind of intubation Abby has to have because of her airway can cause this kind of problem.  They believe that Abby's thrashing around probably caused it.  Since she is relying on the ventilator right now for all of her breaths, the kink caused her to stop breathing.

After everyone cleared out, I sent my mom out to my dad and aunt, who were waiting in the lobby without any idea of what just happened.  

I'd been pretty calm and basically holding it in, minus a few tears.  But when that room emptied and Abby and I were alone, I lost it.  

After another substantial desat this evening for an unknown reason (this time she only needed six people!), the doctors have decided to be "generous" with her medicines so that she can really be still and calm.  She's on a lot of oxygen, her chest xrays have been examined and seem fine, and she is currently sleeping.

I am thankful tonight...thankful for our quick-thinking nurse...thankful for her calmness...thankful for the team that ran to assist...thankful for my parents and aunt being here so that I didn't have to face that alone...thankful for God's protection on Abby's life...thankful that I can still kiss my sweet girl's head and squeeze her hand...just thankful.

The nurse scolded her for her antics and told her that she wouldn't get to sleep with the lights off until she learned to behave!  She has also earned herself her own personal nurse who will stay in her room tonight.  This is our same awesome nurse from last night who spent a lot of time calming Abby with me, so I know we are in good hands.

Where will I be?  In a chair right by her bed, keeping vigil.



Hug your kiddos tonight.  I can't hug either of mine right now, but I made sure they both know how much I love them!

Thank you SO much for all of your prayers, and I ask that you continue to pray for her as she faces this next week.  Let's hope the rest of it is far more boring!

Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
"I am thankful tonight...thankful for our quick-thinking nurse...thankful for her calmness...thankful for the team that ran to assist...thankful for my parents and aunt being here so that I didn't have to face that alone...thankful for God's protection on Abby's life...thankful that I can still kiss my sweet girl's head and squeeze her hand...just thankful."
Hugs. That is all I can write, Friend. Just.... Hugs. ;)
Love you later, Raelyn
RicKim said…
We love you all very much!! We are praying!!

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m