Skip to main content

Christmas Day!

I'm finally getting around to blogging about Christmas Day festivities.  I wanted to do it justice and not just make it into a photo dump, so it took a few days to get some time.

First of all, I have to say that Caleb is totally "getting" the real meaning of Christmas this year.  He was constantly reminding us that it was the celebration of Jesus' birth (and then adding that Jesus wasn't really born on this day and that the 3 wise men weren't really at the nativity scene because they didn't meet him until  he was a toddler....thanks to his youth pastor daddy!).  He loved buying and giving gifts to a family in need and prays for them often.  It's awesome to see that he "gets" it!

Caleb was also SO thrilled to have bought Matt and I presents this year with his own money at Santa's Secret Shop at school.  They were a complete secret and were wrapped at school and placed under the tree.  Despite his attempts to get us to open them early, we managed to hold him out until Christmas morning.  That sweet boy ran to the tree and gave us both our presents before he opened a single one of his own!

I got a lovely heart necklace with a "real" diamond in it!  He was so excited about it!  Sadly, the chain broke the day after Christmas, but I found the pendant and put it on another chain.  Crisis averted!


Matt got a Maryland water bottle so that he could use it while he was cutting the grass.  :)


Caleb made Abby (with a little help from me) a Hello Kitty plate at The Pottery Patch.  She's not quite ready to eat off of it yet, but she'll get there! 


Abby got Caleb a set of early reader Star Wars books.  Does she know her brother, or what? :)


One of Abby's favorite gives was a Hello Kitty Tervis Tumbler.  She's started drinking her "meal juice" (a high calorie Pediasure Sidekick drink that we use to help her swallow her food) out of it and seems to like it.  


Her other favorite gifts were a Hello Kitty sleeping bag, which she wanted to stay in, and her Cozy Cottage playhouse.  She's had lots of fun running in and out of her house, playing with her doll Joy in there, and using the "appliances."  I haven't gotten a good picture of it yet!


I'm not sure why I didn't get a picture of Caleb's favorite gift, but he got a (toy) bow and arrow set that he absolutely loves!  It has suction cups and he has strict orders to never aim it at a person!  So far, he has been really good about it.

As I mentioned before, Caleb also received the original Star Wars trilogy--a big hit!  His "big" gift is a trip to Medieval Times today.  He has wanted to go for a long time, and I know he's just going to love it!   I loved giving Caleb an "experience" as his big gift, because we really don't need a lot of stuff.  Plus, it will make for some great memories!  I'm sure we will have many pictures to share of our adventure!  We got him this knight set to go along with the gift.  


Matt and I gave each other iPhones for our birthdays and Christmas, and I thoroughly enjoy my gift every day!  :)

Later on, we went to my parents' house to open gifts there.  

Abby got an easel, which was a big hit with both girls!  It's chalk on one side and dry erase on the other.  I especially like that it is a tabletop easel that folds up easily and can be stored in the corner.  Yippee!



Amy and Bruce got a doormat that is quite appropriate for their family.  Their Boxer, Penny, can't keep her tongue in her mouth!


Speaking of Penny, she's the one with the (you guessed it!) huge tongue.  Heidi is the one on the bottom and Bert is the one standing over her.  They are both my parents' dogs.  


Here's Berty feeling kind of sad that he can't join in on the fun.  He loves kids!  (We did let them out after the present opening was done!)


Owen was quite happy with his Madden 13 Wii game!



Anna waited so patiently to open her presents...at the beginning, at least!


Caleb got 2 Lego sets from The Lord of the Rings series, which thrilled him to no end!  He didn't think he was getting any Legos, so he was pretty excited.

A highlight gift for us was a 2 burner griddle to replace the one we've had since we got married that was very warped!  This one is really nice and big.  I can't wait to use it!  We also got some gift cards for our favorite restaurants and stores--score!

My mom wanted to read a winter story to everyone, but electronics won out for the older kids.  Anna and Abby are the only ones who prefer old fashioned books to e-readers and video games! 


It was a wonderful Christmas!  I hope that you also had a wonderful Christmas with family.  

Ours is continuing tomorrow as we celebrate with Matt's family.  If all goes well, this will be the first time we have all celebrated Christmas together!  The last time we were all together for Christmas, Grammy and Pop had 3 less grandkids!



Comments

Dana said…
Gabby loved seeing pictures of Bert and Mrs. Schenk :-) She loves loves loves them! Glad you guys had a wonderful Christmas!
Mary Lou said…
Julie....
Our pastor partook in two consistent things every Christmastime when I was growing up. He assured us that the three wise men did not visit Jesus until he was a toddler. And.... He stated that "ass" is not a expletive, but rather another word for "donkey"!! Hee, hee, hee.... ;-}
I actually received three necklaces for Christmas this year!! Three!! ;)
That Caleb!! He is so sweet!! And it is neat the way his mind has wrapped around Jesus' birth!! ;-D
I love that picture of Abby holding up her Hello Kitty Tervis Tumbler!! too Cute!! ;)
(Toy) bow and arrow kits are so much fun!! In the house I grew up in, there was this "bell" above the front door. We would each take turns using that as our target!! Once hit, the "bell" would ding!! Memories.... ;->
Caleb's "big gift" will be an experience rather than yet another material thing!! What a neat idea!! ;-]
I thought that perhaps you were going to mention how your family got a new Boxer puppy for Christmas!! No? ;OP
--Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m