I will miss our nurses. They all love Abby and have become part of our lives. I'm sure we will keep in touch with them. I'm glad we have nurses that we will actually miss, because there was a time when nothing about nursing was a positive experience. Now, overall, we are very thankful for the extra help we have received with Abby.
But there are also a few things I will NOT miss! Like...
* ...keeping paper towels in the bathroom instead of a hand towel because the nurses can't use them. It creates SO much trash and gets expensive!
* ...cleaning up after people who are not part of my family. The nurses we have now are great about this, but others have not been neat. There have been many spills on my carpet, marks on my walls, crumbs down in my chair cushion, trash left on my floor, dirty dishes they used in my sink...I have enough messes to clean up as it is!
* ...having to get a doctor's order to give my child anything...even Tylenol or teething gel.
* ...the agency treating us like we are imbeciles. This is probably the most annoying thing at this point. Well, that and the lack of communication among agency office staff.
* ...the lack of privacy.
* ...trying to keep everyone on the same page about Abby's care. That's five people in all who are taking care of Abby, and it can get very difficult to keep everyone consistent. This is especially true with the various therapies Abby has!!
* ...having to stay up to let the nurse in. Matt and I haven't gone to bed at the same time in two years.
* ...being a nurse manager. That is just not my calling. Not. At. All.
We are super excited to just be a traditional family unit again, especially after getting a glimpse of it this weekend when our weekend night nurse called out. We slept with the monitor on and each took a night to be in charge of getting up with the feeding pump and to deal with alarms. Abby did fine, and getting up with the feeding pump really isn't that big of a deal. Abby and Caleb came into our room Saturday morning and watched cartoons while we dozed...it was SO nice to not have to be up and dressed by 7 to sign the nurse out!