Skip to main content

Medical Update (Warning: This is Long!)

We got some not so great news yesterday. Our pulmonologist called last night.  (That concerned me right there--it's usually a nurse!). We got the results back from Abby's sleep study, and it showed "severe upper respiratory obstruction." She had an average of 12 episodes an hour where she stopped breathing, as well as 2 central apneas. . We have never had anything like this show up on previous sleep studies. Our pulmonologist is recommending cpap and /or getting her tonsils and adenoids removed--before veptr surgery! Previously, our pulmonologist was very hesitant about VEPTR. She said last night that this is all showing us that we really don't have a choice but to go for the VEPTR.

We were not expecting this sort of news at all!!  This sleep study was supposed to be just baseline information for her surgery, so we were pretty caught off-guard with the bad news.  It makes me want to sleep in her room!  We have also been told to monitor her oxygen levels continuously while sleeping again, which is something we haven't had to do in over a year.  :(

After lots of phone calls with various doctors yesterday and today, the deal is that we know that the real reason for her apneas is her small jaw, which causes an obstruction.  Her reduced lung functioning is just making it worse because she can't breathe deeply enough to get past the obstruction.  Taking out her tonsils and adenoids isn't going to help much, if at all.  What we really have to do is an extensive jaw surgery called a mandibular distraction in order to solve the problem, but that will involve a month of turning external screws.  We don't have that much time before her VEPTR surgery (it's 3 months away, but between an evaluation, scheduling surgery, recovering from it, 30 days of screws, then removal of the plates and recovering from that surgery, we don't have that much time!).  We can't postpone the VEPTR surgery either because of her lung functioning...but we want her to be at her best so that she will recover well from this major surgery.  It's a catch 22!   Basically, something needs to be done, but we don't have time to do it.

She'll be evaluated for the jaw surgery in June. If we go that route, it will probably be scheduled for after the VEPTR surgery.  But, there is also a possibility that the VEPTR surgery may be moved up out of necessity...in which case, our whole schedule and my meticulous planning will go right out the window!!  :)  We won't find that out until the beginning of June though, when she finishes her next round of tests at CHOP.

The only "easy" fix they could offer is to put her on a nasal spray and asthma/allergy med to try to keep her airways as open as possible.  She's had a constant dry cough as a result of the reduced lung functioning, so we are hoping this will help that.

I'm trying to focus on positives, and there are definitely some!  

1.  A new surgeon just started at Hopkins who specializes in the kind of jaw surgery Abby will need!  This surgery is not exactly simple either, and we want someone really great to do it!
2.  Our ENT is awesome, and I trust him 100%.  He is so protective of Abby's airway.  Today, he called back (in between surgeries!!) just 15 minutes after I called his office!
3.  The surgeon doing Abby's VEPTR surgery created the device, and is the absolute ONLY person who has ever done this surgery on a child with Abby's syndrome.  
4.  Abby is still as spunky as ever.  Her zest for life gives me so much strength and hope as we face this!

We would so appreciate your prayers, as this already stressful situation just got a lot more stressful.  I tend to worry as it is, and Matt jokingly said that God must have felt like I didn't have much to worry about right now.  I beg to differ!!  :)  We are hanging in there though.  Thanks for praying!

Comments

RicKim said…
We love you all! Praying!
RicKim
Mary Lou said…
Julie....
I am praying!! For Abby!! For you!! For the doctors!! For miracles!! ;)
Love you later, Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m