Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hospital News

The 12 Days of Bedrest

On this, my 12th full day of bedrest, I thought that I might entertain you (or at least myself) with a song. For length's sake, I only included the 12th verse. Rest assured that I did type out the entire song with all 12 verses, because I really don't have anything better to do! :)

On the twelfth day of bed rest, my nurse gave to me

Twelve Venadyne lectures

Eleven contraction palpations

My tenth sonogram

Nine various bracelets

My eighth different room

Seven Albuterol puffs

Six cups of ice water

Five Nifedipine pills!

Four grams of Mag

Three hospital meals

Two Colace tablets

And a needle stick in my right arm.

Happy bed rest to all, and to all a good night!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes

Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:16 AM, EDT

2 Weeks Ago

2 weeks ago I took a quick shower (had I known it would be my last for a week, I would have slowed down and enjoyed it more!), ate breakfast, and got Caleb ready for church.

2 weeks ago I painted my toe nails to match the dress I was wearing.

2 weeks ago I took my 30 week baby bump photo in the mirror.

2 weeks ago I drove to church like every Sunday.

2 weeks ago I walked outside and enjoyed the fresh air for the last time.

2 weeks ago I had the scariest day of my life. I thought I would be meeting my daughter that day, and it was much too early. I was terrified.

2 weeks ago I took a helicopter ride to UMMC where some wonderful doctors and nurses took control of the situation and stopped my labor, buying my Abby Girl precious time.

A lot has happened in two weeks! I was a bit homesick last night and lamenting the fact that things are not going to return to normal for quite some time. Thanks to the friends that reminded me to define my new normal! Things will be normal again, but they may not be the same kind of normal. I don't quite know what normal is right now, but I think it will start with me no longer being an inpatient and getting to see Caleb more. So I'm back to being in good spirits!

My positive thought for the day? I currently do not have an iv port in!!! This is only because the one I had in went bad last night and the phlebotomists don't work that late. They asked if I wanted to have a nurse do it last night just in case I needed fluids overnight, but I told them I would take my chances. :) I will be getting another one today, but for now I'm free!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes

Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:31 AM, EDT

Keeping in touch

We've been getting creative with ways that I can stay connected with Caleb. It has been crazy hard being away from him and I think the transition back to being "Mom" again after I'm out of the hospital is going to be a little rough for him after having so many different care-givers. I've already seen glimpses of him not really looking at me as an authority figure anymore. I can't really blame him, seeing as I can't do much but lie flat in the bed!

Anyway, aside from talking to him on the phone each day, we've also tried to get him up here to visit as much as possible. This is really more for me than for him, as Caleb is pretty resilient and doesn't seem to mind being passed around! Visits are dependent on who can bring him, but I will have seen him 3 days in a row this week! :)

Caleb has been bringing books and little toys with him when he visits so that we have something to do. As I have mentioned before, he hates when I am hooked up to stuff. Yesterday, I requested my daily monitoring be done in the a.m. so that it would be finished by the time they got here. It was a good move, because it was the first time I've been totally disconnected the entire time he's been here! He climbed right up on the bed and asked me to read Horton Hatches an Egg to him. I happily obliged!

We picked up one of those recordable books from Hallmark that allows Caleb to hear my voice as the pages turn. I recorded it last night and he will get to listen to it today for the first time. He was really excited about the thought of me "reading" to him at home. Naturally, I had to rerecord a few pages because I got a little choked up, but I made it through!

Since Matt and I both have webcams on our laptops, we downloaded Skype with the intention of me being able to chat with Caleb. Apparently, it's too complicated for us! I couldn't get it to work from here, so we thought maybe it was blocked by the hospital server. But Matt can't get it to work from home or church either. It appears to be operator error! We're both pretty technologically savvy, so it frustrates me that I can't get it to work! If you're a Skype guru, let me know and maybe you can help us figure it out.

So those are the things I've been doing to try to stay connected with Caleb. I welcome other creative ideas, because I miss my boy!!!

No comments: