Skip to main content

Chloe Girl

Our sweet Chloe girl has had some health issues recently.  She had 3 suspicious spots removed and 2 of them were cancerous.  One of the cancerous spots did not get clean margins, so we are watching it closely and will take her back if anything else shows up.






I took her to get her staples out and that incision was so inflamed that he wasn't able to see them all.  It was very painful for her, so I of course had to reward her with some doggie ice cream! 







 Unfortunately, that incision was infected, which earned her the cone of shame and twice daily wound care.  (I totally felt like Oprah here...You get wound care!  You get wound care!  Everybody gets wound care!!)



You can imagine how much she loved that cone, and I spent one very sleepless night on the floor in the living room with her needing to constantly be touching me and shaking uncontrollably.  Fun fact:  I absolutely CANNOT be touching anyone while I am sleeping.  The next morning, I begged Matt to go to the pet store and find something like this to keep her happier!  While she still wasn't thrilled by it, she was much, much calmer. 



We made the decision to switch vets for a few reasons, and Chloe's first appointment with the new vet was last week.  It wasn’t the ideal time to switch, but we felt it was necessary.  The new vet found more staples in the inflamed incision that weren't seen the first time, so poor Chloe had to endure even more torture.

The vet also was concerned that Chloe has been requiring 4 full meals a day in order to maintain a healthy weight for a boxer.  This is double the amount of food she should be getting.  (She looks great, but that is deceiving.  For as much as she eats, she should be majorly overweight!).  I’ve been concerned about this for quite some time and had voiced my concerns several times to our former vet, but he didn’t seem worried.  We decided to do a fasting blood work panel to find out if there is something going on in her digestive tract.  This could be some kind of disease, a metabolic issue, or that other horrible thing that I don't want to think about.

Chloe had her blood work done yesterday, and we should get the results this week.  Unfortunately, she lost .5 of a pound in the week since we were at the vet.  Ugh.  We are hopeful that whatever the problem is can be controlled with medication, and we are absolutely dreading having to make the tough decisions.  Hopefully, it will be a simple fix and we won't have to.

Right now, we are thankful that our girl seems quite happy and not in any pain.  She spends her days being adored, sung to, and smothered by Abby, but she doesn't seem to mind.  Abby absolutely loves Chloe, and I think the feeling is mutual!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m