Caleb and Matt went to the Philadelphia Zoo today. They had a great time, but I wish we all could have been there.
They brought Abby back a baby for Mia (her beloved red panda)! She is in love! The baby's name is Maya.
We did some painting with water colors today. Abby painted a tree. This is the final product.
This evening after they left and we ate dinner, I encouraged Abby to take another walk with me. She is supposed to walk at least twice a day. She pitched a humongous fit and screamed at me all down the hallway so loudly that the nurses came out to see what the ruckus was about! I tried many times to explain why we needed to walk, but it didn't matter. When we finally made it to the playroom and she was sitting again, she continued to scream about how awful I am. Her sweet nurse came in to reason with her and explain how important walking is. It didn't help much.
When we got back to the room, I sat down and told her how much I love her and that I am only here to help and take care of her. My poor, sweet girl burst into tears and said, but it just hurts so much!
Guys, this is tough. This little girl is trying to cling to the tiny amount of control she still has over her life right now. She's scared, hurting, and frustrated and doesn't know how else to express it. She sincerely (and without prompting) apologized for being mean to me. I know she isn't trying to be nasty. I wish I could take all of this away!!
I only take pictures of the happy moments, but I thought it was important to share with you just how tough this is on Abs. She is really hurting, physically and emotionally. Pictures can be deceiving. She's making progress, but every step is painful.
Despite the rough evening, there were some things that were better about today!
* Abby can now walk holding just one hand, with an occasional hand on the wall for extra support.
* We got a mat for the floor to practice transitions, and she's getting better every time!
* Abby got to feel the warm weather today when we went outside for a few minutes.
* She can get in and out of her wheelchair without a step stool now.
* She can get in and out of bed with support, instead of us doing all of the work.
* Caleb and Matt leave tomorrow. Pray that both kids handle the separation ok. It's hard being apart.
* Pray for Abby's emotions and pain level and that she will be able to express them appropriately.
* Pray that I can show Abby my unwavering love and that she will know that everything I'm doing is to help her.