Skip to main content

I Wish...

62 Days and counting until Disney World!!  Abby has a super cute Elsa countdown chain that our friend and wish granter made for her.  It starts at 60 days and Abby is uber excited to start the "official" countdown!

I ordered some adorable Make a Wish shirts (we get one from the organization, but lots of people suggest having multiple) and they came yesterday!  Naturally, we had to wear them today...all of us...Matt was thrilled about that!  :)  My intent was to get a family picture this evening, but Caleb had art today...enough said.  Ugh.  Here are the kids this morning before orange paint splattered all over the front of the boy child...




So, I wore my wish shirt to run a bunch of errands...I was in several stores, several medical buildings, and a school.  I realized something as I wore it.

I was someone to be pitied.

I cannot even tell you how many sympathetic looks I got as people realized what my shirt meant. 

Now, I was not the least bit offended by their looks of pity.  I get it.  To most, Make a Wish is for terminally ill children to have one more family memory before they die.

But guys, that's just not it.

Like our new shirts say, Make a Wish is Hope, Strength, Joy, Life, Excitement, Motivation, Smiles, Family, Life, Compassion, Fun...and soooo  much more!

Make a Wish is all about granting wishes.  Well...

I wish people understood that Make a Wish is so often a bright light in a family's world of medical chaos.  Sometimes, it's the motivation to keep going!

I wish more people realized that Make a Wish is for children with life-threatening illnesses...not necessarily terminal illnesses.  Simply getting a wish granted does not mean the child is going to die.

I wish I could accurately describe the joy in my daughter's eyes whenever she receives a little gift from her wish granters.

I wish you knew how often the thought of this trip got us through the tough days.

I wish Caleb's excitement could be bottled up and shared, because he deserves this trip as much as Abby--life as Abby's Big Brother is hard!

I wish you could see Abby's smile every time she tells someone she is going to be the REAL Elsa in Disney World.

I wish you could see people's reactions to hearing about Abby's wish.

I wish you knew how thankful we are for Make a Wish!!!

So if you ever happen to see someone wearing a Make a Wish shirt, smile and know that while he or she has certainly had quite a journey, Make a Wish has been a bright light during that journey.

Don't feel pity; feel JOY!  (And ask them what the wish was!)  :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m