Skip to main content

Juneau: Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier

Our second port day was to Juneau.  Whereas Skagway was a very small town, Juneau is a much bigger city and more industrial.  We got off of our ship and were in the middle of a big shipping port.  We had to get on a shuttle to go to the shopping areas.  There were many more shops and restaurants than in Skagway, but it was also much more urban. 

Today's excursion was whale watching.  We used a private tour group again, but it didn't have the same personal feel as in Skagway.  It was a bigger company that had multiple buses, so we kept having different drivers every time we would get on. 

The whale watching was interesting and the guide was very knowledgeable. Everyone got snacks and water, which was nice.  The indoor seating area was really great with a nice kind of bar set up so that you could have your camera or binoculars in front of you.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of outdoor seating, so you pretty much had to stand if you wanted to be outside.  There was an upper deck that gave great views and was less crowded, but there wasn't any seating up there either.  It got a little boring for the kids who weren't really interested at staring at the water for an hour, but we did get to see whales!  We were close enough to one that the guide was able to identify her as Flame, a documented whale that they often see.






We saw some others from farther away, but it was fun to see a whale so close to our boat!  We also saw porpoises, sea lions, and a few bald eagles.  

We found a food truck area and got lunch there.  Amy, Sara, and I ate at The Crepe Escape, which made delicious sweet and savory crepes.  I got a veggie crepe and it was HUGE!  After eating so much rich food on the ship, it really hit the spot. Sara and Amy really liked theirs too.  Matt, Bruce, and the rest of the kids went to a brick oven pizza truck and really liked theirs too. It was nice to eat something a little different from the food on the ship. 

After we finished whale watching, the bus took us to Mendenhall Glacier, which has scenic overlooks, trails, and a nice visitor's center with a gift shop, nature talks, and an excellent viewing area.




Amy and Bruce and their kids hiked to the waterfall, which was about 2 miles round trip.  It was a bit more challenging and not a paved trail, so we opted out of that one.  The photo point was only .3 miles round trip and was handicapped accessible, so we chose that one!





Caleb also really enjoyed climbing on the rocks along the trail.





These beautiful purple flowers were everywhere!


We caught a bus back to the shopping area and walked around for a while, then took a shuttle back to the port around 3:00.  The kids tire out way before we do!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m