Skip to main content

Living in the Middle

We live in the middle.

Being the parents of a medically fragile child, we have certainly had our share of crisis moments. Abby was in the hospital for the first three months of her life and we faced each day not knowing if it would be her last.  In the two years that she lived ventilator-dependent, we had the constant fear of her catching a potentially deadly cold.  Several "harmless colds" landed her in the PICU, and a case of RSV left her fighting for her life.  Since Abby has been decannulated, she has had numerous major surgeries to reconstruct her chest wall, spine, and jaw.  Just shy of six years old, Abby recently had her 20th surgery.  Her 21st is already scheduled.

But we also have many moments of normalcy.  Our family loves to visit museums, aquariums, zoos, and other cultural events.  We enjoy going to our local farmer's market on Friday nights and chatting with friends we see there.  We love singing along to musicals in the car, and we can certainly down our share of popcorn at the movie theater.  We enjoy volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House as a family.  Our kids play with Legos together, hit each other with pool noodle light sabers, take turns smothering our poor dog, and get fussed at for jumping on the couch.

There are times of crisis, and there are times of normalcy.  But most of the time, we live somewhere in the middle.  We bounce back and forth between school and doctors' appointments, between American Heritage Girls and physical therapy, between fencing lessons and speech therapy, between craft time and feeding therapy, between vacations and hospital stays...between our regular life and our medical life.

So where do we fit in? We aren't quite severe enough anymore to truly hang with the medically fragile families who used to get us.  But, then again, we aren't really normal enough to sit around with families with kids our age and simply chat about soccer and homework.

I like to think we have the best of both worlds.  We have been blessed with many special needs families we are privileged to call friends.  They have encouraged us, cried with us, and empathized in a way that others just can't.  But we also have so many typical families that have come along side of our family and loved us through it all.  They have made meals, sent cards and gifts, given hugs, and prayed with us.  They have held us up during the tough times and celebrated with us during the good times.  Both groups of people have become so important to us during this journey.

So yes, we live in the middle, sometimes slipping into crisis mode, and other times dipping our toes into the normalcy.  But with friends like we have, it's not such a bad place to be!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m