Skip to main content

Emily's Visit

We are all relishing in the wonderful weekend we just had with our beautiful friend, Emily.  In case you're new here or have forgotten, Emily is one of just ten people living with CCMS, and at age 19, she is the oldest girl we know of.  She contacted us pretty early on in our journey and we have kept in close contact with her over the last three years, but this is the first time we have met in person.

To say that Emily is a blessing is an understatement.  She found us during a time when the only two children we'd found through the internet with CCMS had major physical and cognitive delays.  Seeing that Emily was living a typical life with plans to go to college (she is now in her sophomore year) gave us so much hope when the doctors weren't.  

So we were thrilled when she asked back in October if she could come visit us during her winter break.  We picked her up from the airport Thursday evening, after her parents managed to get her an earlier flight to avoid the worst of the snowstorm hitting the east coast.  (Her hometown got over 9 inches of snow!)  Good thing they did, because her original flight was severely delayed.

On the way home from the airport, the kids fought over who got Emily's attention, and we introduced her to the amazing musical stylings of Family Force Five.  She learned what a "Cray Button" is and Caleb taught her how to crank it like a chain saw. (This will mean absolutely nothing to you if you don't know any of Family Force Five's music!)  Abby decided that her gtube scar is her "Cray Button" and pushes it to make herself crazy.  She thought it was great that Emily had her own gtube scar "Cray Button!"



Although our area didn't see nearly as much snow, it was enough to give Caleb and Abby a day off of school on Friday!  This worked out really well, because then we had a lot more time for the kids to play with Emily and just hang out.  We collected enough snow clothes for Emily to wear so that they could play outside, but the idea of playing in the snow proved to be much more appealing than actually doing it.  Poor Abby was freezing, so we didn't stay out long.


Chloe loved playing the most out of everybody, I think!


We warmed up with a little hot chocolate, then got ourselves ready to visit THE place to go for Maryland crab cakes.  If you're local, you know where we went!  Emily had never had a "real" crab cake, so I think she enjoyed it!


Friday evening, my family came over for pizza and to get to know Emily a bit.  Everyone agreed that she is wonderful!


Anna tried to get Emily to come home with her.  :)


Saturday morning, we headed out to DC to visit the Museum of U.S. History and a monument or two.   It was FREEZING!!!!  Thankfully, we got a good parking spot that allowed us fairly close entry to the museum.

Caleb had never been to this museum too, and we knew our little history lover would find it very interesting.  We were right!  His favorite exhibit was (shocker) America at War.  He even recognized a few of the famous WWII photographs from a WWII book he got from the library.  

I think he might need a footstool if he wants to be POTUS...



Or will Abby be the first woman POTUS?!


Matt and I were both laughing about the original iPod being part of a history exhibit...it made us feel pretty old!  (We still have ours!) 


Dorothy's ruby slippers


After that, we drove around for much longer than planned a few minutes until we found the Lincoln Memorial.  We were going to visit a few memorials, but the temperature was just too cold for a lot of walking.  Abby fell asleep during our drive over, so Matt stayed in the car with her while Emily, Caleb, and I went to the memorial.




We also got some good views of the Washington Monument, even though it's currently closed for repairs.



Emily and Caleb


Please ignore my disheveled look.  It was COLD!!


After thawing out on the trip home, we had dinner and played some games together--including a very modified game of Pictionary to include Caleb and Abby.  After such a busy day, this was a nice way to spend some time together.

Sunday morning, Emily and I left bright and early to get her to the airport.  Caleb and Abby went with Matt to church, but they said their goodbyes the night before.  After a blissfully uneventful time through check-in, Emily and I said our goodbyes.

So that's the run-down of Emily's visit!  I have lots to tell you (and more pictures to share!) about the connection Abby and Emily had, but I am going to save that for its own post.  This is plenty long enough as it is!





Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
I'm afraid that I have fallen ridiculously behind in reading/commenting on this Blog!! I was busy, busy, busy!! So I shall start here, rather than reading/commenting on every single missed post!! ;)
"Emily is one of just ten people living with CCMS, and at age 19, she is the oldest girl we know of. She contacted us pretty early on in our journey and we have kept in close contact with her over the last three years.". Wow!! ;-D
"Abby decided that her gtube scar is her "Cray Button" and pushes it to make herself crazy.". I love that!! ;)
"I have lots to tell you (and more pictures to share!) about the connection Abby and Emily had, but I am going to save that for its own post.". I'm waiting!! You know I am!! ;-D
--Raelyn


Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m