Skip to main content

Abby's Early Days

A Day Full of Good News




Okay, I just got back from from the hospital feeling more encouraged than I have since Abby was born. I must share!



* Abby had her MRI today (she did great and didn't require additional sedatives) and we got the results. Everything they were checking for looks fine!! This is a huge answer to prayer. Yippee!!!



* Her feeds will continue to increase until Wednesday, when she should be at full feeds!! (That's one ounce--not much to us, but plenty to fill a premie's belly!)



* Tomorrow, they will begin C-PAP trials. This is a machine that offers a slight bit of pressure to assist the airway, but it will be done through her ventilator to avoid Abby getting into breathing trouble if she doesn't tolerate it. If the trials look good, then she will be put on this instead of the vent. When she gets off the vent depends solely on Abby, but it could be Wednesday!



*There was concern about a blood infection, but the culture hasn't grown anything over the last 4 days. She's on antibiotics just in case, but it doesn't appear that there is any sign of infection after all.



* Abby will have a G-tube for feeding put in over the next few weeks. While I know this is necessary, I don't want her to depend on that without ever trying a bottle. All of the research points to the importance of continuing to offer the bottle even with the G-tube. I got permission tonight to start working with her to take a bottle as soon as they change out her trach and she is off the vent! Good thing, because I would have just bugged them about it until they said yes anyway. :)



* My girl was more alert and awake tonight than she has been since she got her trach. Her pain meds are being weaned and she is definitely feeling better. She also thoroughly enjoys her feedings, as is evident in the way she smacks her lips and smiles whenever her belly is full. It is totally cute!



* One of our favorite nurses, Tara, has Abby tonight. She realized there was a hole in her blood pressure cuff and got her a new one. Instead of throwing the old one away, she asked if I wanted to keep it for her scrap book. The girl can tell a sentimental type when she sees one! I thanked her profusely!



I hope you'll be as encouraged as I was today. Our girl definitely has a long road ahead of her, but we are beginning to actually walk it now instead of just constantly worrying about her airway. Things are heading in the right direction!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Monday, November 1, 2010 10:33 PM, EDT

You Might Be in the NICU for Too Long When...



I've been serious way too much recently. Granted, it has certainly been warranted, but I'm ready to lighten up a bit. In honor of all of our good news today, I'm going to change the tone a bit!



You might be in the NICU for too long when...



You and the other mommies race to see who can fill up their freezer space for milk the fastest.



You know what each beep means by its sound without looking up.



It feels weird to wash your hands without a scrub brush and nail pick.



You beg the nurse to let you hold the syringe for feedings so that you feel needed.



The guards checking people in on the floor have memorized your patient number.



You cheer for meconium and marvel at the number of wipes it takes to clean it up.



You get ridiculously excited about changing your baby's diaper.



You know all of the nurses in your room by name.



Everyone at the front desk gives a collective greeting when they see you.



The terms Brady and Desat are all too familiar to you.



The guard at the front entrance doesn't ask to see your band anymore.



Your hands are incredibly dry from all of the hand-washing.



The doctors stop "translating" information for you because they assume you understand the doctor jargon...and you do!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:06 PM, EDT

C-PAP, Insurance, and Weight Gain...Oh My!



Abby started her C-PAP trials last night. She was still hooked up to the vent so that it could kick over if needed, but they wanted to try her on her own. We were there when they started the trial and Abby definitely felt the difference and took a few minutes to adjust. BUT, SHE DID GREAT!!! We were so proud of her! This morning, they decided that Abby did so fabulously on the trial that they would switch her over to full C-PAP and see how it went. So far, she's continued to do beautifully!! Naturally, they are monitoring her closely, but it is definitely good that she is off of the vent.



Matt and I left after spending some time with Abby this morning so that I could use my parents' computer and printer to work on some insurance claims. IT TAKES FOREVER!! I have a feeling that this will be my life from now on, but it is definitely tedious. Can I just say how thankful I am for insurance?!?!



As of yesterday, Abby was back up to her birth weight and then some! Go Abby! She was 4 lbs 2.5 oz, which is a little over her 4 lb birth weight. We are very excited about this, as before she just kept losing weight because she was burning all of her calories trying to breathe. Yay!!



I'll be heading back to the hospital this evening with my parents (I still can't drive--can you believe it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet since I delivered?!?) and hopefully Abby will have gained even more today!



PS: The girl LOVES her food...she smacks her lips and smiles really big during each feeding. This is especially funny since she can't taste it going through her tube, but she knows that her belly is getting full and she likes that. It is very cute! I have yet to capture it on camera, but I'm working on it!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m