Skip to main content

Educational Resources During Your Corona Break

While being on an extended break with my kids and being responsible for their learning isn't that big a deal to me because I do this for a living, I recognize that not everyone is a teacher and isn't able to come up with educational things for their kids to do each day.  No one wants their kids to just play video games and watch TV all day!  I figured I would share some things I have found that would help others while their kids are at home.

All of the websites I will share are free or just require a free registration!  Unless otherwise noted, I have checked these links for viability.  I hope you find these helpful.  Please let me know how you use the activities!

* First, let me say that writing should be a part of just about everything you do.  If your child does a science experiment, have him/her write claims and evidence about the experiment.  If you explore an online museum together, have children share about three of the most interesting exhibits.  Writing is key! 

*Here is a list of museums that offer virtual tours.  My kids love museums (especially Caleb), so I know we will be checking some of these out!

*Storyline Online is a website where celebrities read picture books!  I love this!  You can also search on Youtube for TONS of online picture books.

* This is an online library where kids can read books online.  Many are in multiple languages!

*Scholastic is well-known for its book fairs, but they also have lots of online resources too.  Scholastic has put together a bunch of articles and videos about nonfiction topics.  These articles include lots of text features like graphs, photographs, diagrams, bold print with links to vocabulary, etc.  There is also a suggested activity at the end of each one and some extension suggestions.  This is a GREAT resource and spans the content areas.  It is even separated by grade band!

*You can explore the Metropolitan Museum of Art too!  This isn't included in the other list, but I liked that it was specifically geared toward kids. 

* This is a link to another blog where she has a list of educational websites that typically require a paid subscription.  You do still have to register, but these websites are temporarily offering a free subscription during the Corona break.  Disclaimer: I have not checked all of these individual websites myself, but wanted to pass the info along.

*How Stuff Works is a pretty cool website where kids can research ALL KINDS of stuff! 

* If you have a child studying another language, Duolingo is a great way for them to practice.  They can also search on Youtube for Spanish picture books and beginning Spanish lessons.

*Khan Academy is something that is often used in the secondary schools.  Our county typically uses it for math practice, but it actually spans the content areas. 

* Highlights Kids has great activities, videos, and articles for young learners.

* Room Recess has tons of learning games across the curriculum!

* Mr. Nussbaum has SOOOOO many resources!  You can play games across the content areas, research lots of topics, and check out a variety of grade levels!

* Study Jams by Scholastic has animated videos on a variety of math and science topics.  Many of them are in song too, which the kids like!  Many also have quizzes to go along with the videos.

* Math Planet is for middle and high school math.  There are very clear explanations about math concepts, and at the end of each lesson are multiple examples and a video.

SOS Math is another one for middle and high school math.  It is similar to Math Planet, but there are also self-checking problems at the end of each lesson! 

* Practice multiplication with these games!

* Funbrain is a website with math and reading activities.  There are also books to read!  This website also has non-educational games, so you might need to focus your child.  :)

*If you have Pinterest, you can check out my Corona Virus Boredom Busters board!  There are some good lists on there, as well as lots STEM activities and LEGO challenge cards.  My kids absolutely love LEGO challenges, and we use the same ones over again because they always come up with something new. 

*If you have Netflix, you can watch an episode of "Who Was" (biographies about famous people in history) and then have kids research it further.

*Have your kids research!  They love doing this!!  They can learn about a holiday around the world, the history of a company, a country, an animal, a time in history...the possibilities are endless!  Remember that writing piece though!  :)  They can make a Power Point about the topic, which is a fun way to incorporate the writing.  Wonderopolis and Ducksters are kid-safe research sites.

*They can write a letter to a family member.  Handwritten letters have gone by the wayside and I think this is the perfect time to bring them back.  They can write emails too, but I kind of like the idea of a handwritten letter.

Have them make up a learning board game!  You can easily print out a template (here are 8 different ones to choose from!) and then they can make a game about just about any topic!

Kids can write in a journal every day.  Make sure they are writing at least 8-10 sentences, and have them check carefully for spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.

They can learn a secret code or make up their own!  Here is a link to seven different secret codes.

Older kids can read a newspaper article and summarize it.  If you don't get a newspaper delivered, they can read current events here.  There are also video clips for many.

If you want your child to learn about history, check out this website!   It features a U.S. history online textbook, tons of history documents and primary sources, a database of research websites, and a collection of speeches by famous people in history that you can listen to.  

Make a timeline of your family!  This could include birth dates and important dates/events.  They could even print out pictures to add to the timeline.

Comments

Tucker Conrad said…
A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com
Website: http://emutemple.website2.me/
Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m