Skip to main content

Cruisin'!

I have some very exciting news!  My family will all be going on a Disney cruise to Alaska this summer and we are SO excited!!



While this trip has been in the works for some time now, we were hesitant to get our hopes up for a while and didn't say much because we weren't sure Abby's health would allow us to go.  A few weeks ago, we got the okay from her pulmonologist and it is full speed ahead!!    Abby's #1 thing she is looking forward to is cuddling sled dogs.  Of course!!


When our pulm said she could go, she told Abby to, "Go cuddle those sled dogs, Abs!"  Love her!
 
She did caution us that this wouldn't be a very relaxing vacation for us with multiple bipaps and respiratory treatments during the day and bipap, gtube feeds, and pulse ox monitoring overnight, but I laughed and said we are used to that.  We have been dealing with the vent, cough assist, and neb treatments for just about a year now and are fine with taking it along wherever we go.  Abby has had the gtube feeds and pulse ox virtually her entire life, so that is normal for us.  I don't know what a good night's sleep is!    I figure that we will set up treatments and bipap on the go wherever Abby wants to be!  Thankfully, there are lots of blogs about cruising with a child with special needs, so I have learned some good tips.  My #1 concern was having enough outlets in the stateroom (we need at minimum 3 within close proximity to Abby's bed), but I have discovered that guest services has extension cords for those types of situations. 

Caleb is really looking forward to more of the cultural and historical aspects of the trip, which is just his nature!  I'm sure he will love hearing the musher share stories about the Iditarod and learning about glaciers.  He will have a million questions, so I think I'd better pick up some books about Alaska from the library so that he can start researching!  I love his inquisitive mind!

I am most looking forward to the beautiful scenery and the Disney magic that I have heard so much about on these cruises.  Abby's awesome one-on-one is a Disney Cruise junkie and she has assured me that it will be nothing short of amazing!  No matter where we go on vacation, I absolutely love watching my kids enjoy themselves.  They have both dealt with a lot in their lives (each in their own way) and it's so good to see them having fun!

We are in full-on cruise planning now!  Currently, we are deciding on family shirts (no easy decision with a group of 12) and door decorations, and will be making character and cruise event reservations in a few weeks.  (Since this is our first cruise, we are the last to pick.  "Cruise veterans" gets priority.) We've planned a few cruise excursions, including a whale watching trip, a sled dog adventure (which includes riding a summer sled pulled by the dogs, meeting a musher, and LOTS of dog cuddling!), and a lumber jack show.



 
 
 

No one in my family but my parents has ever been to Alaska, so this will be such an amazing adventure for all of us.  My sister and brother in law are the only ones that have been on a cruise, and it wasn't Disney.  This really will be a trip of a lifetime!  My sister and I have been getting the girls matching nautical outfits and planning Disney princess dress-up attire.  Abby has outgrown all of hers, so I've ordered her a few new outfits. :) 

Stay tuned for more planning updates and lots of stories about our adventures this summer!  (I'll also be sure to blog about tips and tricks for cruising with special needs!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m